Whatever happened to Nakano Hiroyuki, once a hot property after the success of his self-consciously hip "Samurai Fiction" and subsequently a pariah due to the abject failure of "Red Shadow"? Why, naturally he's been remaking Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai".
For a pachinko machine.
Current Kurosawa Production Co. president Kurosawa Hisao has already been vilified by some for frittering away the rights to his Dad's films and image on sub-par remakes and canned coffee commercials, so this is hardly going to do him any favours.
That being said, just look at the talent assembled: former Kurosawa-gumi members such as costume designer Wada Emi, cinematographer Ueda Masaharu and action director Kuze Hiroshi, as well as this all-star cast:
Nagase Masatoshi as Kikuchiyo
Chiba Shinichi as Kanbei
Fukikoshi Mitsuru as Kyuzo
Musaka Naomasa as Shichiroji
Masato (pretty boy K-1 fighter who's also in Hong Kong beat-em-up "Shamo") as Katsushiro
Taguchi Tomorowo as Gorobei
Tanaka Yoji as Heihachi
Aso Kumiko as Shino
The official site has a bunch of clips that admittedly look quite well-realised, although that might just be thanks to "The Last Princess" lowering the bar for Kurosawa remakes to subterranean levels. This being a Nakano 'film', the soundtrack features the wholly appropriate musical accompaniment of The Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction", "Paint It Black" and "Jumping Jack Flash".
I'm not totally down on the guy though - his video for Photek's "Ni Ten Ichi Ryu" matches the song's atmosphere perfectly.
- ► 2010 (16)
- Cast update for "Shikisoku Zenereishon"
- "Volcano High" director teams up with "Death Note"...
- Nishijima and Kase co-star in "Tonan Kadobeya Nika...
- Ayase Haruka = breasts
- Hiroki Ryuichi's "Your Friend"
- From prosaic to just plain stupid
- Stills from the set of "Shikisoku Zenereishon"
- The men with the balls to remake "Seven Samurai"
- "Ponyo" detractors sharpen their sushi knives
- Thoughts on "Chameleon"
- Taguchi Tomorowo to direct his second Miura Jun fl...
- "Nonchan Noriben" update
- Sakamoto Junji says 'hoes before bros'
- "Climber's High" clings on to modest success
- "One Million Yen Girl" flees overseas
- "Sky Crawlers" or "Sky Bawlers"?
- A rare victory (?) for live-action over anime
- All that glitters may not be Takemajin
- Shochiku @ YouTube
- "Boys Over Flowers" über alles
- ▼ July (20)
- ► 2006 (41)